Thursday, December 6, 2007

Growing Up

Everyone is talking about how much their kids are growing up. I'm trying super hard to ignore all the "signs" of Alexis getting older. Every time I turn around though it's being thrown in my face! Seriously can't she just be OK with being my little girl forever? Is that really so much to ask? I mean I did extremely well when we had to go buy some training bras. (Don't tell Alexis I told you about that. She gets embarrassed when I talk about that.) I even took it in stride when she was having friends call her and they would talk for long periods of time. And laugh over nothing. I was OK with all of this. Kind of anyways. Yesterday Alexis informed me that she was invited to go skating this Friday with her friend Hayley from school. Tuesday was Hayley's birthday and instead of a birthday party she wanted to go skating with some of her friends. I was totally OK with this. I called Hayley's Mom to confirm that Alexis would be allowed to go. Her Mom said Alexis could stay the night with them since we live in Abilene and it would be hard for me to come back out here to get Alexis when the were done skating. I asked her when she thought they would be done and the Mom said "I was planning on picking them up from the skating rink around 10." My little brain had a really hard time comprehending this statement. I just told the Mom that I would be able to pick her up but thank you for offering to let her stay the night. When we got off the phone it took me awhile to realize that Alexis had been invited to her first "girls night". The girls were going to be dropped off at the skating rink. As in the Mom's were not supposed to stay and make sure nothing bad happened to them. What if there was a horrible stampede accident and Alexis got ran over. Who would be there to make sure she was OK? Who would be able to dry her tears and give her hugs and kisses in case she got hurt?

After talking to Jennifer about this today, I'm pretty sure I will allow Alexis to go. And no I will not be hiding in the shadows watching her. Alexis really does deserve to have some big girl time without Anoe around. And since she's started school in Clyde she really hasn't been able to hang out with any of her friends. When she used to go to Taylor, she would stay the night with her friend Shaq and they would go walk around the mall or something fun like that.

Please pray that my heart is able to take Alexis pulling away from me and becoming a young lady instead of a little girl. I'm so blessed that she's being raised totally differently than Jennifer and I were. I don't have to worry about her doing any of the things I was doing at her age.

3 comments:

Francesca said...

Feel your pain!!

Francesca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I TALKED TO JAMES YESTERDAY. HE SAID THE 2 MEN WHOM'S NAMES YOU HAVE ARE BOTH SINGLE MEN AND HAVE NOT RECIEVED ANY PACKAGES SINCE THEY LEFT FROM ABILENE WITH JAMES BACK IN JULY. I THINK IT WILL BE GREAT THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE SENDING ONE OF THEM A CHRISTMAS CARE PACKAGE. PERHAPS WRITE HIM A LETTER AND LET HIM KNOW HOW YOU CAME ABOUT GETTING HIS NAME. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME IF YOU GUYS ACTUALLY KEPT IN TOUCH FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE DEPLOYMENT. JAMES SAID THEY WILL BE BACK IN THE LATER PART OF JAN.
THANKS AGAIN. OH YA, IM NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU COULD SEND HIM. MAYBE PRAY ABOUT IT. SEE IN CHURCH