Monday, June 4, 2007

Adventures and chasing the rain

You know how sometimes you think back to your childhood and you actually remember something fun. Well most of my good childhood memories involves us "chasing the rain" or going on an adventure! Sometimes my Mom would pack all of us kids up (usually whenever she got in a fight with her boyfriend/husband at the time) and we would just go away for the weekend. We called these adventures. We never knew where we were going. We just left! It was like for those few days we got to live a different life almost. I'm not sure if my brother and sister remember it the same way or not, but in my world, we became people we only wished we could be all the time. It felt like people would look at us and say to themselves "Look at that loving family. They're so lucky to have each other." Chasing the rain was a lot of fun too. Growing up in El Paso we didn't really get a lot of rain. But sometimes when we could see rain off in the horizon, we would all pile up in the car and try to find where it was raining. We did this a lot when we lived in Alpine. It was so much fun! About a month ago when I was leaving the block party that was hosted by the Methodist Church here in Clyde, I could see where it was raining off someplace far away. It made me think of my childhood. I want my kids to have those good memories of us doing fun stuff together. So we set out to find the rain. It was a lot more fun than I remembered! The girls were so excited. We turned off the main highway and were going down some back roads somewhere, when I noticed that the road was muddy and not asphalt anymore. So I tried slowing down but we just kept going. The girls were laughing hysterically! We kind of got stuck, but we were able to get out without any help. Which is good since I have no clue where we were. We weren't able to find the rain, but we sure did have a lot of fun. Anoe still asks if we can chase the rain when she sees clouds in the sky. I love making good memories with my girls.

4 comments:

Lydianna Bradford said...

Oh my goodness -- that sounds so fun!! I love making memories like that with the girls so the next time I see rain in the distance we are going after it! Thanks for the inspiration Amanda -- you are an amazing Mom!!

God's Warrior Bride said...

What wonderful memories you are making with your daughters. I still remember our "Adventures" as a kid and like you I got to make make some great memories with my kids and now I am making memories with my grandchildren. And I mean the crazier the better with them!

Rachel said...

I love the chasing the rain!! My personality would TOTALLY go against that (without a plan), but I did think about it last night. I was on the interstate in all that construction and I couldn't figure out how to get turned around to go find the rain cloud!!

But, when we got home, I went outside to pick up the toys and I saw a TON of lightening bugs in my backyard!! The boys were in the bathtub and I ran and told them to hurry and get out.

Then, we went outside and watched them fly around. Evan was a little scared of a bug that lit up, but one came REALLY close to us and landed on the concrete!! It was awesome!!

Anyway, I said all of that to say that it made me think of you chasing the rain!!

Brandi Wilson said...

That sounds so fun Amanda! I can just picture all of you in the car laughing and getting stuck in the mud.
I love you!