Tuesday, June 5, 2007

My OCD

Anybody that really knows me, knows how much I love for stuff to have a pattern. When I used to work at Becker's Loft my sister and I would literally argue over what menus should be on what table and in what order. All of the menus were identical except for the color of the paper! She so did not care if a table for four had two yellow, one pink, and one orange menu. That so did not work for me! There had to be some kind of order. They all had to be one color, or there could be two of each color or, well, you get the point. There had to be order!!! I'm like this with everything. My DVD's are in alphabetical order, my kids clothes are all hung up with a pair of shorts/pants and shirt on the same hanger. I even went so far as to separate all of Anoe's panties once. All the pinks were in a pile, the whites in a pile, the ones with designs in a pile, and then all of the pastel colored ones with no design in a seperate pile. (These piles didn't last long once Anoe went to get dressed.) It's just craziness. I've gotten a lot better about the DVD's though. I would be in such a bad mood if the movies got out of order. Now I'm just happy if Anoe puts them back with the title showing! Whenever I get really stressed though I still re-organize the DVD's.

Now, what I meant to write about here was my upcoming vacation. We are leaving June 12th at noon to spend a week at Crystal Beach! (Down by Galveston) I'm so excited about this. My kids have never been to the ocean. (This next part Jennifer can never know about. I know she reads this, but I'm just going to pretend that she doesn't!) I have made so many different lists for this vacation it's crazy. It's almost getting on my own nerves! I have a list for what each child will wear each day, what she will sleep in, what shoes go with what outfit. I have a list of exactly where we will stop on the way down there to eat/gas up/stretch our arms and legs, and how long we can spend at each place. I even have printed out three different maps on how to get to where we're going. I have a detailed list of what we will eat for each meal, when we will eat it, and when I need to start cooking so the meal is ready on schedule. Of course I have some other lists for the bedding and toiletries, but I think you get the point of how detailed my lists are. But these lists are necessities, right? Why can't I just let go and enjoy this? In my last post I wrote how much I enjoyed going on "adventures" but I can't just let myself not plan this! When I first started my lists (about 3 months ago) Jennifer told me to stop. She said we would just stop when we needed to and get there when we got there. I mean come on! I NEED order!!! I strive off of order.

I have this major problem with control. Obviously! So, when I get home tonight I'm going to throw away all the "major-can't-live-without" lists! I'll let the kids pick out a couple of outfits, I'll pack them up and not worry about forgetting something. What's the worst that could happen? I mean OK, even if I forget to pack panties or a toothbrush, shampoo or whatever, there's going to be a store right? Right. I'm gonna do this and this vacation is going to be so much fun!

So if anyone wants to pray that I'm able to actually throw away a list or two, that would be great!:)

10 comments:

God's Warrior Bride said...

You totally crack me up. I'm sitting here at my desk laughing so hard that tears are running down my face, but I am not laughing at you but with you, because you have painted the perfect picture of me. So, when you are driving down the road do you make a mental list of everthing over and over again? Like 10 miles from where you are going you just shout out "Did I remember the underwear?" Like we are going to go back home and get them! Duh!!! Trash the list and just have a great time. And remember - WalMart is just around the corner.

Amanda said...

I do keep making list in my head! It's gotten really bad since I have that nice 15 minute drive back to Abilene now. I try spend my driving time talking to God, but sometimes I wonder off and start making mental lists of stuff I need to talk to God about! I'm just crazy!

Rachel said...

I'm a list person, too. I like EVERYTHING planned out!! We're going to Galveston on the 13th!!! Maybe we'll see you there?!? ;)

This is the funny part. Aaron is very spontaneous and it drives me nuts sometimes!! With our vacation, we're going with another couple, so I know I'm not totally in charge of anything. But, I'm already asking Aaron what the plan is -- because it's changed a few times!!

He can come home and say, "Oh, I invited so-and-so over for lunch today. And, they invited so-and-so. Is that ok?" I've gotten so much better and just said, "OK," although in my head I'm thinking about all of the preparations that I should have done to be ready for that many people!!

Anyway, I've kind of been set free of some of it . . not all of it. Go home and throw your lists away!! I think that's why most families don't have fun on vacation!! ;)

Tamara said...

I am wishing I were as organized as you are...can you come here and help me?? PLEASE!

ericaprosser said...

You are my idol!

Brandi Wilson said...

I'm so excited about your trip! Have you tried on the bathing suit yet? I'm just curious if it's too big now with all your working out!

Hey, a couple of rational lists are good to stay orgainized. I love a good list myself, but don't make yourself (or others) crazy over them!

ENJOY!!!!!

Amanda said...

Rachel-that would be so awesome to see! If you have free time you'll have to call us. I am so impressed that you don't totally flip out when extra people come to lunch like that. I guess being set free helps a lot though.

Tam-yeah it's not as cool as you think. It's really annoying! But let me tell you, organizing someones house or whatever is like a dream come true for me! I sometimes mess up my cabinets on purpose just so I can re-alphabetize all of my canned and dry goods! Have you ever seen that show Monk? He is up there on my coolness list!

Erica-thank you very much!

Brandi-no i haven't tried on the bathing suit yet. I'm really kind of scared to do it. I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. I can't really tell a difference. We went swimming at my house on Sunday and I wore my swim suit from last year. It wasn't as tight as it was last year! I think I'll be brave and try it tonight!

I did throw away 6 lists last night! I only kept the driving directions, food list, and a misc. list so I don't forget my phone charger and small things like that!

Jennifer said...

I can't believe you are my sister. You are so weird. But I guess that's why I always end up wearing the same underwear for the whole week and my kids don't brush their teeth that much....



(i am totally joking about the underwear thing)

Pamelotta said...

Yeah, right, Jennifer!

I love a good list, too. Just as long as they don't become idols. You have the gift of organization and I would love a little of that to rub off on me!

You're going to have a great refreshing time with your families and you are going to let go and let God plan it for you. He seems to do that anyway if you don't leave some room in your list for Him to do what He wants!

Lydianna Bradford said...

Wow----see I'm really wierd because I love to make lists and organize but I also tend to be a bit messy and procrastinate. I guess thats whey they they say CID people (thats from the DISC test, in case you havent done that) are at odds with themselves.

I pray that you will be free from being absorbed by your planning and organization and that you can relax and have a great time!!