Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Life

I recently finished reading two really good books. The first one I finished Saturday evening and the second one I just finished this morning. They're both written by Khaled Hosseini. The first was The Kite Runner and the second was A Thousand Splendid Suns. They were both extremely good, but extremely hard to read. Not in the sense that the words were hard, but emotionally hard. The Kite Runner was a lot easier to read, but really opened my eyes to what the Afghanistan people have had to go through over the last 30 years. I always thought that all Afghans hated Americans. Like they were taught to hate us from the time they were babies. And they were all in favor of the Taliban. I know this is so untrue now. There's innocent men, women, and children dieing over there. And some of the people that joined the Taliban really didn't believe in what they were doing, but joining the Taliban when they first took over Afghanistan was the only way for many of them to feed their families. I know it's horrible for me to say that I thought they were all anti-America, but I really had never thought about all the innocent lives that were being lost over there. A Thousand Splendid Suns was so extremely hard for me. I can't even tell you how many times I cried while reading it. What these women have had to endure, saddens me so much. It really helps put into perspective just how great we have it here in America! I get upset/depressed because I'm struggling to make ends meet, but these women are struggling to stay alive. Their husbands beat them, starve them, lock them in rooms, just whatever the basically want. So many women were giving their children to orphanages just so their kids could have food and clothes. So many take for granted the freedoms we have. We are so lucky to live in such a great country. I know our country has it's faults, but we(women) don't have to fear for our lives if we have an abusive husband and want to leave. We're just so lucky!


Kids are my weakness! I'm totally not a "kid" person, but I hate seeing or hearing about a child that is hungry or mistreated. I just want to take them home with me and show them that life is not supposed to be that way. They're supposed to worry about stuff at such an early age. I've felt for awhile now that my calling in life is to one day be a foster parent for these kids that need love. I've never really wanted to tell anyone about it because I'm afraid people will think or say that I'm crazy. I'm struggling so much right now with just my two kids. But I really think that if this is God's plan for me, then it will totally happen. Maybe not within the next couple of years, but eventually. Every child needs to know that they're loved, and feel that they're protected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could make it through those kinds of books-so thanks for the quick review. I think being a foster parent is a awesome call of God on your life! I know that God sees that desire in you and is going to make a way for you. We need more people who care and love the children that are abused and abandoned. You are so awesome!

Unknown said...

I SO AGREE WITH CHERITH....AND YOU WOULD MAKE A GREAT FOSTER MOTHER. YOU HAVE SO MUCH LOVE FOR CHILDREN. A BIG HEART IS WHAT THEY NEED AND YOU GOT IT BABE.....

Jennifer said...

There really is a reason you were born first. You took care of Joey and me when we were growing up. Your heart amazes me.