Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Post Surgery update

I had my surgery last Wednesday. Everything went really good. I was planning on returning to work on Friday, but that so didn't happen. I kind of sort of over did it Thursday when I was feeling good, so I paid dearly Thursday afternoon and Friday. But that's OK now.

Brandi offered to keep my kids for me Tuesday night because the original plan was for me to be at the hospital before 6:00 am. Well when I went to pre-register Tuesday afternoon I was told I didn't have to come in until 11:30! So I called Brandi and told her she didn't have to keep the girls after all. She was like, no that's not an option. Her kids were super excited about my kids coming over. My kids were super excited too. So we decided the girls could go ahead and stay the night with them after all and I would just pick them up in the morning to take them to the rec center before going to the hospital. Well, Tuesday evening after work Randy called and said they wanted to treat us to dinner. We all met at El Chico's inside the mall. Alexis was so excited that we were going to the mall. I am so anti-mall it is crazy! She only gets to go to the mall when she used to stay the night with her friend Shaq and one time when we went to get earrings from Claires. Anyways, after eating we walked around the mall for a little bit letting the kids choose different stores to go into. Brandi blessed me again with a room freshener thing from Bath & Body Works and a little pink rubber ducky! When all the mall excitement was done and we were leaving Anoe wanted to ride with Randy & Brandi and Joey and Jocie wanted to ride with me. We stopped at a little store that sells purses on our way out and bought a purse for my Mom that has a picture of The Wizard of Oz on it. When we got to Randy & Brandi's house I went to say good-bye to the kids and give them all kisses. Well Brandi walked out with me and told me that her and Randy had some money put aside because they wanted to help me with the cost of my surgery! I was so blessed the entire evening! Just spending time with Brandi is always fun, but then throw in all the other cool stuff we did at the mall, it was such a blast. I've even agreed to take the kids back to the mall one day soon.

Wednesday morning my Mom got to my house about 9:30. She worked the night before so she was going to take a nap while I took a shower and went to Wal-Mart. I needed to pick up a few things I thought I might need after the surgery and get my prescription for pain medicine filled. While I was in the shower the hospital called to see if I could come in early. Of course I said yes! So my poor Mom only got to sleep for about 30 minutes. She was super nice to me though. And didn't make me feel guilty at all! We got up there and they got my IV started and everything was going great. The anestiologist came in and was going to give me something to help me relax before they actually took me back. He was super nice! The last thing I remember is being wheeled into the OR and being told to think of sitting on the beach with the warm sun hitting my shoulders. (My favorite place to be) The next thing I know, I'm waking up in another room in a lot of pain! My abdomen was hurting so much and my legs felt like I had just had 50 charley horses! It was crazy. I tried asking the nurse why my legs hurt but I couldn't talk very well. I guess I finally got my point across because she came over and gave me some morphine and said my legs were sore because they had been up in the stir ups for so long. That made sense, I guess. I just wanted to make sure they didn't perform the wrong surgery and do something to my legs they weren't supposed to. Unless of course they wanted to perform some liposuction. I would totally be OK with that! OK anyways, lets stay focused here. A while later they took me back to the Pre Op area so I could be monitored or whatever. I had to eat some crackers before they would give me some more pain medicine. All I wanted was water but the nurse kept asking if I wanted some soda. I told her twice I didn't drink soda because I was on a diet and she said they had diet soda. I was like, dang! I don't prefer to drink carbonated drinks! I just want some flippin' water!!! (I didn't say the flippin' part of course. That would of been rude.) When I was finally able to leave I thought I was hungry so I asked if we could go get something to eat. Symantha went and picked up my kids and my mom took me to Albertson's to get my prescription filled. I told her I could walk and I would go in with her. She said no it's OK, well I tried to get out of the car but I fell asleep with my hand on the door handle! At the restaurant it took me forever to walk inside. My Mom kept having to remind me to open my eyes! How many people do you know that fall asleep walking? Yeah I'm a dork! I should of just listened and gone home to rest. Inside the restaurant (5 hours later--just kidding of course) My Mom fixed me a plate of food but I fell asleep again. I thought we had only been there for like 10-15 minutes when they said we were leaving but they said we had really been there for almost an hour. I kind of remember the ride home, but not really. I totally don't remember walking up to my room! Ms. Judy said she was there when they brought me in but I don't remember seeing her. After lots of fighting with my Mom, they finally decided to leave me there but take Anoe with them for the night. Ms. Judy promised she would help keep an eye on me.

That first night was pretty uneventful. Early Thursday I woke up and felt really good. Except for all the sore muscles of course and throat issue. So I thought I would go ahead and straighten up a little since there were a few things out of place. Well, I kind of over did it. I started hurting really bad and started throwing up. I think I got nauseous because I took one of my pain pills with out eating first. I learn the hard way I guess. At lunch time Cherry came and took Alexis and me to McDonald's then she took us to HEB to get some easy to fix stuff for the kids. I pretty much slept the rest of the day until Anoe got home. Even then all I did really was sit in the living room and make sure she didn't make any messes. My sister-in-law Katie came and picked up both girls so I could take a nap. Poor Anoe wanted to sleep with me that night to "take care" of me, but she just moves too much so she had to sleep by herself.

I went ahead and took Friday off of work since I wasn't feeling all that great like I thought I would be. I didn't really do anything except watch a lot of TV with the kids. My brother picked a pizza for the girls and me and we snuggled up and watched Camp Rock. I totally didn't like the movie but Alexis did. Saturday I was able to do some light housework and felt fine afterwards. Then Saturday afternoon I took the girls to the YMCA so they could swim for awhile. We got there about 2:00 and I was planning on letting them swim until 5:00 but I started cramping a bit and there was a super annoying lady there whose daughter was friends with Alexis when Alexis went to Taylor. It wasn't that she was annoying but she was so prejudice! So we went ahead and left about 30 minutes early. All in all we had a really fun day of just hanging out together.

Now I'm back at work and everything is going great! I'm of course counting down the days till I'm off next Friday for the Fourth of July though! Who doesn't enjoy time off of work?

4 comments:

God's Warrior Bride said...

I am so glad you are feeling much better. I know as time passes by you will be so happy you had this procedure done. It sounds like you have lots of wonderful help which is always great. God has truly blessed both of us with such a wonderful group of family and friends.

God's Warrior Bride said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

IM GLAD THAT ALL WENT WELL. YOU WILL BE FEELING BETTER AS TIME PASSES. AND YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY THAT YOU HAD THIS SURGERY. I KNOW IT TOTALLY CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything went good. I saw you last Sunday and wanted to say hi...but didn't have the chance! I'll see you soon.