Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My 4th of July celebrations

I know I'm a few days late, but I've been super busy lately at work and I don't usually blog from home because I try to spend that time with my kids. OK, so usually that means I'm cooking or cleaning up after my kids. But either way I just don't have the time to spend lots of time on the computer once I get home. Anyways! Back to my 4th of July.

Cherry invited the girls and me to go over to her sister-in-laws house with her to have a BBQ and let the kids swim. I made 3 Fourth of July cakes! I only took pictures of two of them though. The two that I did take pictures of were made with cherries for the red stripes! I've seen some cakes that use blueberries for the blue area and raspberries for the red stripes but I don't really prefer either of those fruits so I switched it up to fit my tastes. I took just regular white frosting and added food coloring to make it a nice shade of blue and then I put 50 white dots to represent the stars on the American flag. And there are 7 rows of cherries and 6 rows of white icing, which is also the way the American flag is set up. It took a little bit longer than I thought it would to decorate all 3 cakes but it was a lot of fun! The girls really enjoyed helping me make it too. On the third cake I used sliced strawberries for the red stripes. (That's the one I didn't take a picture of) I spread white icing on the entire cake first, then marked off where the blue icing was going to go, then I spread whip cream over the rest of the cake. It was super good! I took the strawberry cake with me to Jennifer's Friday evening.










Jennifer, her family and my family all went to watch the fireworks at Nelson Park. It was really good. After the fireworks were done, my brother called to see what we were doing and said the girls and I could come over if we wanted. A neighbor of theirs that lives across the street were having a party and they were watching them to see how long it took for the police to come. Alexis and I thought it would be a lot of fun, so we went over there. It was so much fun watching them. They were lighting fire works, which is illegal in the city limits, then at one point they were shooting some kind of firework at each other. They didn't really look old enough to be drinking, but they were.

I spent the rest of the weekend in Sweetwater working at my Mom's miniature golf course. All in all it was a great weekend though. This Saturday we're going to NRH2O again! Went twice last year and it was so much fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay cakes! Those look awesome!

Unknown said...

I must say congrats on joining the weight watchers. R U doing Core or Points system? It has taken me over a month to understand the points system. If you are having any trouble with it let me know and we can talk.