Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Family projects

As you know the girls and I moved mid-October. In case you do not already know, it is the perfect house for us! All three of us love it. I have only found 3 things wrong with the house.

1. It's on a dirt road. Which means my car is forever dirty and I have to dust a lot. No biggie.

2. I get horrible reception inside my house. I could be sitting on my couch talking away and all of a sudden I'll lose a call. Or if I move just a little bit, it'll get super static-y. A little irritating but again, no biggie.

3. The mirrors in my kitchen.
It doesn't matter where Alexis sits, she can see herself eating. Well, actually there are two places she can sit at the table and not see herself, but she doesn't like either of them. This past weekend I finally came up with something we could do so Alexis could sit where she wants and not watch herself! I know it's nothing compared to how creative some of you are, but for me this was a brilliant plan.
This is what the counter looked like before. Imagine Alexis sitting on the far side watching herself constantly.
To keep Alexis from looking at herself I propped two of the Girl Scout sacks and a Girl Scout envelope I had up against the mirror. It always looked messy and cluttered. That almost irritated me more than Alexis staring at herself.
Last week I ordered something online and it came in this great big box. Inside of the box was a bunch of brown paper. It kind of looks like butcher paper but not as heavy duty. I was about to throw it away when I had a great idea! I measured out a piece of the paper and let the kids draw on it.

When they were done I taped it up on the wall to cover the mirrors!
Anoe drew a Christmas tree on the left hand side (can't really see it, but it's there) and Alexis drew a wreath on the right hand side. I no longer have a mess on my counter, Alexis can't watch herself, and my wall is covered in wonderful art!! How much better does it get?

8 comments:

Brandi Wilson said...

Love it! way to go!

Now, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the mirror couldn't be taken down. :)

God's Warrior Bride said...

Totally awesome. I bet it looks beautiful. And the part about Alexis looking at herself in the mirror made me laugh - we have a mirror above the kitchen sink and every time the boys are home, they all (4 of them) always look at themselves when ever they come in the door or leave through the door. It's like the mirror has some kind of magnetic draw for them. Too funny.

Unknown said...

I JUST LOVE WALL ART. LOL

Amanda said...

No Brandi the mirror could not be taken down. It actually wraps all the way around the corner. My kitchen has more mirrors than most people do in their entire house! I guess the people that built it really liked to watch themselves eat and cook. All the top cabinets have mirrors too, but they're decorated. You'll just have to come over one day to see it.

Rachel said...

I would say that is very creative!! Now your art can be changed out every so often and I'm sure the girls will love that!!

Smarshie said...

That is so clever! =)

Lydianna Bradford said...

When I was a foreign exchange student one set of my host parents had mirrors all over their kitchen and dining room. She said it was because she really struggled with her weight and it made her more mindful as she ate and also made everyone use their manners and such more often. I constantly made faces at myself in it. I did lose weight at that house though, and she was a slender woman. That said, I currently have no mirrors anywhere near my kitchen or dining room.

Cherryberry said...

Yay, no more eating-watching.
Can't wait to see it on Thursday.