Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dating

Monday before last (Oct. 13th) my Mom and her significant other (Symantha) met me in Abilene after my eye doctor appointment so we could get the rest of my stuff from my brothers garage and move it to my new house. We met about 1:00 pm and started moving everything right away. It was a nice cloudy cool day, but still moving stuff is hard work so I was getting a little hot. We loaded everything up in Symantha's truck and started on our way to Clyde. We unloaded everything and headed over to Jennifer's house so I could get my other couch that was in her living room/dining room taking up a lot of room she did not have to spare. By this time I'm really hot and sweaty! We got a bunch of stuff out of her storage building also. So now I'm hot, sweaty, and dirty! All of the stuff I hate!!! We unloaded everything and started putting everything together at my house. Symantha had been insistent that we go eat dinner at 5:00 in Abilene at Towne Crier. She said it was because she wanted to "beat the rush", I didn't care when we went. I was just hungry! Before going to Towne Crier we had to make a stop at United. So finally we're on our way to Towne Crier. We're sitting in the back dining area enjoying our salad when a guy that works with my Mom walks in. She says "Oh hi Ely, do you want to sit with us?" He's alone, I don't think anything of it. It's my Mom, she's weird.

On Monday nights at Towne Crier they have an all you can eat shrimp thing. So of course that's what I got. Well, there I am sitting next to some guy, not paying attention to him eating shrimp like it was nothing at all. I got a big ol' plate of boiled shrimp and was peeling the clear skin stuff and legs off. Totally unattractive like. OH! And don't forget that I'm still dirty and nasty from moving all day. My hair is up in a pony tail. I didn't even brush it before putting it up. It's just all matted looking. So when dinner is over, my Mom says she going to take the girls outside with her. Still nothing unusual going on. My Mom smokes and she always takes the kids outside with her when we go out to eat. Symantha says she has to go the bathroom, still nothing unusual. So it's just me and this guy at the table. I get up to leave, and say "It was nice to meet you", you know that polite I don't really care who you are thing. Well, as I'm leaving Symantha is coming out of the bathroom and motions for me to come in there. As soon as I walk in she says "You do realized we just blind dated you right?" I was like, No, with who? I didn't even pay attention to this guy! Symantha made me promise I wouldn't yell at my Mom. So we walk outside, and my Mom can tell right away that I know. She just starts acting all cute and trying to change the subject.

We still had to go to Bed Bath & Beyond to look for some cookware. My Mom and Symantha invited Ely (the blind date guy) to go with us. I was just like whatever. So while we're there, I see a bunch of candles and I go over to smell them. I love candles! And especially now that I live in a place that I can actually have candles, it's just great. So he comes over there and starts smelling them with me and tells me which ones he likes. It was a little awkward, but whatever. I wanted to go down to Ross to see if they had anything else that I would want instead of the stuff at Bed Bath & Beyond. On the walk down, I played a game with Anoe so I couldn't walk next to him. So he had to walk with my Mom & Symantha. While at Ross I never even saw him. I picked up an outfit for both of my girls for Jennifer's wedding but didn't find any cookware I wanted. Symantha went back down to Bed Bath & Beyond to get the other cookware I wanted. She said she would give the kids a ride over to my car (which was parked over by BB&B) so that Ely & I could walk back by ourselves. I swear he asked me like 5 different times about working in Clyde. "So you work in Clyde and just moved there?" which is fine to ask. But not 5 freakin' times in one conversation!!!!

Anyways, we say bye and it was nice to meet you again. A couple of days later Jennifer told me that my Mom told her that Ely said I was beautiful and asked for my number. My Mom of course gave it to him. Now remember when he met me, I was looking pretty bad! I had been moving all day. I was dusty, dirty, had matted hair up in a pony tail, and I'm sure I smelled pretty bad. I had been sweating most of the day. But for some crazy reason, he still thought I was beautiful and wanted my number. Maybe he needs better glasses.

This past Friday when I was at the Single Adults Conference he called, I told him I was at the conference and if he could call me back. He did call back Sunday while I was shopping with my friend Christy. He asked if he could take me out to dinner sometime. I said yes. I don't know how to nicely say no. Jennifer thinks I should go ahead and go out with him. You know to get practice. I haven't been on a date in almost 5 years. And let me tell you, those dates were not very good. But that's a story for another time. On the last date I went on 5 years ago, I was ready to call the police just because the guy wanted to hold my hand! I'll have to tell you this story sometime, but not today.

Why does my Mother feel the need to set me up with people? It makes me so angry!!! Really, I'm not that desperate yet. I still have 12 years before Anoe can even move out. If I'm still single in 12 years, then I'll entertain the idea of settling with someone I totally do not feel attracted to, until then why can't she just stop?!?!?!?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well your mom loves you and wants you to be happy and maybe she thinks it might be easier with 2 people working and all. I dont know... LOL :) But good luck on the date. Let us know how it goes

Anonymous said...

can you like casually take a picture of him on your date so we all know what he looks like? That would be great.

Brandi Wilson said...

I'm so glad you put this on here.

Amanda! Who sets up a blind date without telling the dater that they're being dated? That's too much!

Tell your Mom that you do not want any more Blind-sided Blind dates.

PRINCESS BRIDE said...

I would have killed my mom. Dating is hard enough without it being a suprise. hey since we are both single moms not ready to date may be we should have a girls night out some time.