Friday, September 7, 2007

Being the leader I never knew I wanted to be

Last night Jennifer and I registered the girls in Girl Scouts. I was thinking it'd be a lot of fun for the girls and a great hook up on some Girl Scout cookies. I wouldn't have to look for someone selling cookies anymore! They would be living in my house! How much better does it get? Oh yeah and they would build life long friendships and learned some stuff or whatever. You know it's really all about the cookies. Well as it turns out about 50% of the girls in Alexis troop are being raised by their grandparents. This makes me sad on two different levels. 1.) What in the heck happened to my generation? Why is it so hard for the men and women my age to grow up and take care of their children? It's not our parents job to raise our children.** Not only is it hurting the kids because they don't have their Mom or Dad, but it's hurting the grandparents as well. The best thing about being a grandparent is that you're supposed to be able to spoil your grandchild and then send them home to wreck havoc! Not have to raise them!!! 2.) I got suckered into being Alexis' troop leader. I know NOTHING about Girl Scouts. Other than the cookie thing. Oh and what I saw on that movie Troop Beverly Hills but I seriously doubt I'll have anything like that happening with my troop. The lady who was the Troop Leader last year was actually Troop Leader of 3 different troops. So needless to say she's cutting back this year. I so don't blame her. She has said she'll help me with whatever I need help with and she's "only a phone call away". We are in Clyde so she seriously could be at my rescue within 2 minutes tops. Please pray that God gives me strength and guidance! I don't want this to be known as the worst year or troop ever because I have no clue what is going on!

Alexis will be a "Junior", Anoe will be a "Brownie", and Kalista will be a "Daisy"! Everyone is excited! I think all in all this is going to be good for them as well as me. I really do want to get involved in the community more, so here's my first step. Just be prepared to buy some Girl Scout cookies whenever it's time!

**Disclaimer - If the parents have passed away or are in the military I totally understand why the grandparents are raising their grandchildren. I just don't understand the ones who think it's more important to get drunk or high than raising their children. But on the other hand it's probably better that they live with their grandparents instead of being abused. I have so many different feelings on this subject!

4 comments:

Cherryberry said...

I agree that it is sad indeed for grandparents tobe raising the grandkids when they worked so hard at raising their kids. It really should be a time of enjoying them and sending them home to Momma and Daddy.
Like you said there are circumstances where it is a necessity and some where the children are really a lot safer than they woudl be with their own parents.
I have some in my neighborhood that are being raised by the grandparents and they are definately better off there, but htey do need their Mom and Dad.
Plus the grandparents are usually getting in the years when they should be enjoying each other instead of having to raise another generation.
Sorry I got on my soap box a little bit there.
I love that you are going to be a troop leader.
I know you will greatly bless the girls and the girls will be a blessing to you.
Never thought you would venture to the point of this, though.
remember these are other peoples children. LOL.
I love you and know you will have the best troop of the year.

trish said...

I am amzed an impressed. God will honor your commitment to being a wonderful mother.

Jennifer said...

I so loved the movie Troop Beverly Hills. It was really awesome.

Anonymous said...

go ahead and sign me up for cookies...ok, i'm usually a sucker for anything that kids are selling...but cookies-that's something i actually want/need. i'll buy at least 3 boxes when the time comes! don't hesistate to ask!