Friday, March 20, 2009

Memories

This post isn't really about something cool my kids did. Although they did do some cool stuff that I will use for a post at a later date.

Yesterday I was talking to Jennifer about some stuff I remembered from when we were kids. Usually anything I remember from my childhood I try super hard to block it and tuck it back into the little dark corner it came out of it. But not this one! I remember when I was around 4 or 5 my mom had to be in the hospital. After talking to my mom it was when she was in the hospital giving birth to my little brother. Which explains why I can't remember him in my memories. Anyways, I remember when we went up to see my mom she whispered a secret in my ear that I needed to check in dryer when I got home. I was so excited! I remember thinking at first maybe she was going to let me help her do laundry! (I was only like 4, so laundry was still fun!) Well when I got home I ran to the dryer and inside was a little make up set and a baby doll. I assumed the make up was for me and the baby doll for Jennifer. She was only 2 at the time, so what did she need make up for? Well, as I was about to rip open the make up, I noticed that it had Jennifer's name on it. I was so mad!!! I did not want a baby doll. What did they think? I was still a kid or something? So of course being the brat that I was, I started throwing a fit telling my Papa that I didn't want the baby doll. The whole time Jennifer was just standing there staring at my swinging the baby doll around. She was so not into the make up! Papa told me that my mom must of made a mistake and wrote the wrong names on the presents. He said I could switch with Jennifer if I wanted to. I was so happy after that. I also remember the writing being my Papa's not my Mom's handwriting. But whatever. I just know that when I found the presents she left for us it always made me so happy and made me feel special.

I'm having surgery on April 1st and I'll be in the hospital until the 3rd. I really want to create these kind of memories for my kids too. Thursday night my friend Laura, that lives in Abilene, is going to come stay at my house with my kids and take them to school Friday morning before leaving to take her kids to school in Abilene and go to work. So Thursday night when they get to my house I'm going to have an envelope taped to each of their doors with a little love note and someplace for them to look for their little treasure! The only hard part is thinking of something to give them! I'm so not good at thinking of stuff they like or want. At Christmas time and birthday time they have to literally tell or show me specifically what they want. I know what the like, I'm around them all the time, but I have such a hard time shopping for them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I PRAY FOR YOU A VERY SPEEDY RECOVERY FROM YOUR SURGERY.